Kaiser Permanente Small Business Applications
Use the links below to download Kaiser Permanente group enrollment forms and apply for health insurance coverage for your business:
To qualify for health benefits through your business, the following is needed:
- A minimum of two persons must be employed by the company. The employees can be the owner and his or her spouse, provided both their names are listed on the business license or a comparable document.
- The company must have fewer than 51 employees.
- Employees must work at least 20 or 30 hours per week*, depending on the state requirements.
- Workers must be paid on a W-2 basis*. 1099 workers and other contractors are not eligible for group insurance; however, they could qualify for a Kaiser Permanente private plan.
- Companies with W-2 employees must carry workers’ comp insurance.
- The company must be in business for a minimum period of six weeks.
- At least 70 percent of the eligible workers must be on a job-related plan. Not all are required to be on the Kaiser Permanente group health plan. Employees covered under another company’s policy will be counted towards the 70 percent.
*Note: Exceptions apply for partners, owners, and corporate officers.
No Medical Underwriting
Getting health benefits through your company is not subject to medical review or a physical exam, as pre-existing conditions do not affect your eligibility for group coverage. You cannot be denied due to health issues. As long as your business qualifies for enrollment, you will be enrolled automatically once the necessary paperwork has been processed.
Deadline to Apply
Technically, the deadline to submit the New Group Application is the 1st of the month. All other paperwork must be in by the 5th of the month. However, we recommend getting paperwork in a week or two prior to the 1st of the month so as to avoid processing delays.
Lock in Your Rates for 1 Year
Effective January 1st and July 1st of each year, business insurance rates go up for groups that are not yet enrolled. To sign up for the lower premiums, enroll your company for an effective date prior to January 1st or July 1st. Then, you will lock-in the lower rates for a year. Groups that are already members will not be affected by the semi-annual rate increases.
Necessary Paperwork & Enrollment Forms
Along with the New Group Application and the Employee Applications, Kaiser Permanente requires documentation that establishes your company as a valid business and shows how each owner/employee is connected to the company. In addition, Kaiser Permanente will need a few basic forms, which will be supplied to you when you begin the enrollment process.
Can I enroll in the middle of the month?
Your coverage will begin the 1st of the month after your enrollment materials are submitted. You may complete and send in the paperwork in the middle of the month, but your coverage will not begin until the first of the next month.